- Valid foreign driver’s license – and previous licenses, if you have them; if the license does not show the date of issue or was recently renewed, it may be necessary to submit additional documentation.
- Japanese translation of foreign license – available from the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) or (sometimes) at the embassy or consulate of the issuing country in Japan
- Residence (Zairyu) Card – must have an up-to-date address
- Resident Certificate (Juminhyo) – issued within the past three months – must show Nationality.
- Passport – and any expired passports; the passport is required to prove that you were in the country that issued your license for at least three months after you obtained your license.
- Photo – one photo, 3 x 2.4 cm; must be taken within the last six months
- Previous Japanese license (if you have one)
Passports may not be enough proof of at least 90 days of residence in the license issuing country as passports are not always stamped when leaving or entering a country. In this case, supplementary documents from the license issuing country, such as the examples below, will be required.
- Tax returns (at least 3 consecutive years).
- Utility bills
- University diploma or transcript noting start and end dates of enrollment
- Employment certificate noting start and end dates of employment
- Salary payslips
- Certificate of entry and departure issued by the immigration bureau